[Roadsters] Carburetor tuning at high altitude

Michael Knorr mhknorr at msn.com
Mon Jul 12 20:28:07 MDT 2010

There's a Grand Prix going on near my city of residence (about 4,500 feet
elevation). The local newspaper interviewed the team members for a Porsche 911
GT3 who said their car lost about 30 horsepower at that high of an altitude
(and the summer heat here) even after they tuned the car to altitude. Five
years ago, Keith Williams tuned my carbs at Solvang -- basically at sea level
-- and I've kept them adjusted at around the same specs with apparently no
problems other than a high idle (about 1200-1500 RPM) when I drive up to about
a mile high in the local mountains. But I'm wondering, am I missing out on the
full 96 horses my little four-banger should be getting? If I can find a decent
mechanic at my elevation, are my odds good that he could adjust my carbs
better than Keith did?

Michael Knorr

1966 SPL311-03639