[Roadsters] Carburetor tuning at high altitude

Gary Boone gboone70 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 22:07:53 MDT 2010

Michael,
You can likely get a better tune by leaning it out a bit because if your tune is
ideal for sea level, you're running too rich at 4500 ft.  But even if you get
the mixture perfect for 4500 feet elevation, you'll still have less air density
available, around 15% less than sea level, so you'll only be able to get 85% of
the power at sea level.  I feel your pain, because I live at 6200 feet, so I
lose 20% of full power at sea level, verified by my MAP sensor in my ECU for my
EFI U20.  The only way to get it back is more air density which requires forced
induction (turbocharging or supercharging).

Gary