[Roadsters] Engine Assembly

Alan Watt AlanW at dprinc.com
Thu Jul 15 16:19:40 MDT 2010

Since it has been a quiet day out there I thought I would ask for some advice
regarding my engine reassembly.  (67.5 1600).

1.       I am considering removing the cooling hose loop to the heater valve
and just running the outlet on the back of the intake manifold directly to the
pipe that sits on the inside of the heat shield.  My heater fan does not work,
ducts are missing, and I don't plan on driving on days where it will be an
issue.  It would also clean things up a bit.   Are there any issues with this
approach.  BTW I am missing the summer/winder valve assembly and have a cheap
plastic adapter in its place right now - ugly.

2.       I thought I should fill up the block with coolant through the top of
the head before attaching the thermostat housing.  Then follow that up with
filling the radiator once the housing is attached.  That way I don't need to
manually open the thermostat to get the coolant in the block for initial
startup.

I am sure I will have more questions in the following days.  Thanks in advance
for your wisdom.

Thanks,
Alan