[Roadsters] Sr20DE swap???

Michael Spreadbury michaelspreadbury at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 17:13:48 MDT 2010

Chas,

You can put either a 5-speed or 6-speed manual transmission behind the SR20-series engine, and there is an automatic version as well.

We have done all three into roadsters.

5-speed: Best fit for a roadster-- the shift lever comes through the 1600 shifter hole, the 5-speed hole will need to be modified (easy). There are two versions, a non-turbo (.85 overdrive) and turbo (.75 overdrive). With the dust shield removed, the 4-speed roadster driveshaft's yoke matches the SR20 gear box.

6-speed: A great driver's transmission as it adds an extra gear between 1-5th gear. 6-gear is an .75 overdrive. You will need to modify the X-frame and the transmission tunnel on the right side as the transmission is physically wider and 10mm longer than the 5-speed. The 6-speed uses a unique yoke on the driveshaft (though it is the same as a US-spec 240SX automatic)

Automatic: The automatic requires extensive modifications to the X-frame (we totally rebuild it) and the same modifications to the right side of the transmission tunnel. I would not recommend this modification, but if you are after a cruiser, it might suit your needs.

If you have specific questions, or want more info, feel free to visit us at www.spriso.com for SR20 fitment kits into roadster chassis, and other conversion parts.

Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports