[Roadsters] Baffled by Backfire

Dave Cooke cookefam314 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:07:13 MDT 2010

During a recent road trip, I picked up an intermittent backfire thru the
carbs. I found a bad plug wire & fouled distributor cap on my East Coast
Dizzy, Dave Brisco sent out replacement parts for them both. I installed the
cap & new wires today. Timing is still at 16 degrees BTDC, I cleaned the
carbs, checked the dashpot oil & rest the fuel mixture. Balanced the carbs
wiith a unisyn. And, I'm still getting a backfire thru both carbs. It's
still a bit intermittent, mainly happens on deceleration up to a stop, and
then again on acceleration after a stop. Doesn't seen to happen at all at
high speeds.

Could this be something else like a vacuum or exhaust leak? The exhaust note
on acceleration sounds different to me now than before this all happened...

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Dave Cooke
Roadster owner since '83