[Roadsters] Baffled by Backfire

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Tue Jun 1 17:59:56 MDT 2010

> During a recent road trip, I picked up an intermittent backfire thru
> the carbs... I'm still getting a backfire thru both carbs.

If the ignition timing is accurate (and you aren't getting cross fire from
a defective cap or plug wires bundled together), I'd wager either slipped
valve timing (unlikely) or a burned valve seat (more likely). But first,
check the valve clearance to be sure you don't have one that's too tight!

A compression check may be a quick way to spot something.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA