[Roadsters] Shock install update

Steve Harvey stebharvey at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 3 05:44:22 MDT 2010

Group,

I started the rear shock install and found a major problem. The upper shock
bolts are secured to a curved tube that runs from side to side and is
attached to the frame. The right side bolt doesn't rotate (I believe it
shouldn't rotate) but where it exits the tubing the tubing metal has failed
allowing the bolt to move up and down. The left side bolt is tight inside
the tube. Rust appears to be the cause of the metal failure on the right
side.

Replacing the entire tube doesn't seem to be a viable solution at this
point. I'm thinking that I can wire bush the tubing, fabricate a half round
piece of metal with a hole to match the bolt diameter, slip it over the top
bolt and wire weld the new piece of metal to the original tubing piece.  I
could also find a washer that has a matching I.D. to the bolt, bend it to
match the tubing diameter and weld it to the tube. Any thoughts or help on
this is appreciated.

Steve Harvey