[Roadsters] Shock install update

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Thu Jun 3 19:45:35 MDT 2010

Steve,

You're right, the "bolts" should not rotate.  They're really captive bolts,
or studs, welded into the metal tube.  You should be able to get the right
side nut and lockwasher off.  You could consider some sort of curved
reinforcement plates -- front and rear  -- where the left side bolt mounts.
If the stud/bolt has rusted loose, I think there is a good chance the metal
tube is weak in that area.  Reinforcement, however, would likely place the
shock mounting slightly off (owing to the thickness of whatever
reinforcement is present), and I have no clue as to whether that would be
significant.

I don't remember whether that tube does anything other than serve as a
mounting point for the shocks.  I don't think it does.  If not, you could
consider cutting the tube off a donor car, and welding it into yours.  I
didn't get under my car to check this, so what I suggest may not be
feasible.  But, from the diagram in the parts book, it appears to be.

Gary