[Roadsters] torn soft top boot

dan russell greydog300zx at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 14:26:29 MDT 2010

HI Tim.
My experience is that the rip should be repaired by adding a
reinforcing strip behind the tear.  The strip is double perimeter stitched,
then the torn edges are zigzag stitched to the reinforcing.  If done
correctly, the patch isn't highly visible and will be stronger than the top
material.
Unless you have an industrial sewing machine I would take it to
an place that does boat tops.  They'll know exactly what to do.

If you want a
temporary fix, you can glue the torn edges to a piece of backing vinyl using
Goop or a vinyl adhesive.  It might last for quite a while.  If you can get
the two torn edges to match and lay flat on the backing it might not be too
visible.

Thanks,  Dan