[Roadsters] backroads driving event pics, MotherLode 400

O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Wed Jun 23 11:00:30 MDT 2010

While I didn't go on this particular one (and don't see any roadsters in
the pics), I'd have to say I have done a few of these, and they are
complete blast.
Multi-day, very informal, pick how much of the route you want to do, an
eclectic car mix, and a bunch of gearheads of varying mechanical
background make for great bench-racing.

There are always the gung-ho fast group, as well as the "I don't drive
on bumpy roads" group, but that will always be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68144590@N00/collections/72157624204585669/

This particular one ( MotherLode 400 ) is in the Gold Country of NorCal.
Down South way these get scheduledover Sunday/Monday to avoid busy
weekend traffic.
350 miles/day has been found to be about right, so that all can arrive
at the destination in time for bench-racing and clean-up before meal
time.

I have found that without a GPS, and traveling single-handed, (and with
a trip counter that is 20% off - so that at each crossroads I am writing
down the offset between actual vs predicted mileage) is a bit of a
handful, but nothing a pair of "chip clips" holding the directions in
the center of the steering wheel didn't cure.

I encourage anyone who hasn't tried one to join in.  None available?
Start one, it is as simple as "we start here at this time, and can stay
in this town" and provide a list of roadside motels, although one I went
on had a pre-paid dinner provided at the motel, which made for the best
cameraderie.

Always encouraging more miles, (to justify my lack of contiguous
surfaces of pristine paint)
Fergus O
(hint: the SoCal TT is October 10/11 this year)