[Roadsters] Cant get roadster to idle

Joe Russo jrusso07 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 06:58:23 MST 2010

A vacuum gauge is a great tool to diagnose for leaks, valve timing (timing
chain
postion)and general health of engine (valves and rings).  You can rent one or
get a free loaner at many auto parts shops and they are inexpensive to buy.
Connect it up to the intake manifold.

If excess fuel is leaking from the jet nozzles (assuming out of the carb
mouth),
it seems to me that something is wrong with the carbs (float levels or needle
valves).

Double check the ignition timing.
Joe

aultgc at att.net
"It acts like a vacuum leak to me as well. Fuel pump, distributor, gaskets,
everything else is new. Are there any hidden plugs in the manifold or head or
any other sources of a vacuum leak that I may be missing?"

Gary:
Way too many possibilities, other than carburetion, to try to diagnose
remotely.
If there is truly fuel leaking from the nozzles, the condition of the carbs
themselves is questionable.  If all other things with the engine are correct,
you should only need to "open" the mixture one turn from full closed.

Have you checked for intake manifold leaks?  When leaving our subdivision one
morning many years ago, I came to a stop sign and the engine died.  I cranked
it
up again, and it quit.  I quickly figured out it would run if I kept it above
3000 rpm.  When I checked under the hood, I noticed that one of the plugs I
had
installed in the intake manifold -- in the anti-backfire inlets -- had fallen
out.  I got the car back home and installed a spare.

Perhaps others will have more to say.