[Roadsters] 69 2000 Roadster

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Mon May 3 10:24:32 MDT 2010

> My 2000 has a rebuilt stock engine....  From time to time it pings
> when I excellerate. Also, the temperature gauge runs to the high side...

Assuming the head wasn't shaved when the engine was rebuilt
(which increases the compression ratio, shifts valve timing, etc):

I'm suspecting you're running the stock distributor with the 'smog'
advance curve... You can verify if you have a timing light or wish
to disassemble the distributor (I don't know your level of mechanical
'hands-on' experience).

Basically, the earlier distributors have 15 degrees mechanical advance
(weights stamped 7.5), the later has 35 degrees (stamped 17.5). Early
timing is 16 degrees BTDC, later zero degrees. Setting a late distributor
at 16 degrees helps performance but leads to knocking. Running at zero
degrees leads to overheating at idle (that's why later cars have extra
vacuum switches on the vacuum advance and coolant circuits).

The list archives or the web site wiki will cover this in more detail...

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA