[Roadsters] not a Datsun: Jay Leno’s Honda SM600 on My Classic Car

Eric G egustavson at bigpond.com
Wed May 19 16:44:18 MDT 2010

I had an S600 years ago.  At the time, as a poor student in Canada I
wished that I had the new Datsun 2000 instead, with its big power,
5-speed and synchro into first gear (which the S600 didn't have) but
there was absolutely no hope.  I bought the Honda for $90 with the
engine apart in a box - the pedals were so close together that the
previous owner got his right foot caught under the brake pedal when the
gas was at the floor in first gear.  The tach apparently went all the
way round close to RPM and then there was a noise..... I picked bits of
piston ring out of the alloy head while doing the repairs.
It had a roller crank, spaghetti header to a dual exhaust, 4 CV-type
carbs, twin cams, wet liners, adjustable torsion bar front springs and
IRS with the two chain cases driven from the fixed rear axle, and no it
wasn't like any motorcycle engine Honda ever made.  The gearbox had an
oil pump for lubrication, and with a redline of 9500, it made me feel
like racerboy even though I wasn't really going very fast.  I sold it
for a ridiculously low price that I'm embarassed even now to reveal....

Somewhere in a basement I still have some S600 parts, but now I'm a
diehard Datsun guy....

Regards,
Eric in Townsville
'70 1600 rhd SP311-06003 (Oz)