[Roadsters] Alternator Upgrade

Eric Gillis mkiisupra at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 19:11:39 MDT 2010

> > ...Now with the alternator kaput it is a good time to replace
> > it and upgrade so that I can install a stereo, speakers, and possibly
> > upgrade my headlights.
>
> I'm not against alternator swaps. Someday I plan on doing it myself.
> To do it right requires proper fusing, resizing the feed wires, shunting
> or bypassing the alternator, in addition to proper physical mounting,
> etc.
-- John

John brings up good points.  I took my Roadster over to a reputable, local,
alt/starter shop, got a new Hitachi/Mitsubishi 60 amp that had the same
mounting tabs, so physical mounting wasn't an issue.  Its a triple wire,
internally regulated.  The shop installer has done the swap in roadsters
before, did a good job.  He bypassed the external OEM regulator, but needed a
jumper wire to continue the flow through the stock harness, IIRC, the wire
acts as a 'fuseable link' of sorts with a specific gauge and length.

I had already placed an inline fuse along the wire connecting to the ammeter.
The previous older glass tube style "white tube, push and twist fuse holder"
shorted on the way back from Solvang, a few years ago, due to corrosion.  I
put in a new blade style 30A inline with a weather pack to prevent
moisture/corrosion.

Check out the original version of the picture in this linky to help explain my
questionable description...

http://www.pbase.com/egillis/image/115002399/medium

Or there may be another shot in the album with better view.

Been done since 2005, with upgraded/new ground straps, no headlight flicker,
strong starts, flashers work well.  Able to run CB, Stereo, H4 headlights,
fogs, etc at the same time. Run a fuse to the ammeter, please.

Replacement and wire fixin' for about $120.

Good stuff, read article in Grassroots Motorsports for alt upgrade hints and
ideas (like mounting all three tabs firmly, not using a tube/long bolt to
secure alt.  http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/issues/137/  No links to
articles, I could find...

Eric G