[Roadsters] Gauge Failure

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon Nov 1 19:21:29 MST 2010

On a recent trip, my '67-1/2 2000 was running well when I noticed the
temperature gauge was pegged high.  When I determined that the car was not
actually overheating, I noticed the the fuel gauge had gone away low.  This
car has consistently run cool even in nearly 100 degree temperatures on I5 in
downtown LA, so I wasn't too worried.

I know these two gauges are fed through the gauge voltage regulator, but if
the voltage regulator fails, does the fuel gauge go low and the temperature
gauge go high?  This may be a moot point, because during a brief inspection
under the dash at the next town, I couldn't find the gauge voltage regulator.
I sure isn't where it is supposed to be, and there is some contraption with a
number of wires running in and out, wrapped in electrical tape, which isn't on
any roadster wiring diagram I have ever seen.

I know I am in for some quality time with the dash wiring, on my back with the
seats removed, but I wondered if the one-high, one-low response is normal.
The rest of the electrical system seems to work OK, so it may come down to
biting the bullet and rewiring the two gauges.  Appreciate any intellignece
the List can offer.

Gary