[Roadsters] Read end horsepower potential

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:01:08 MST 2011

Gary Lasater

Has anyone in the group been able to determine what the maximum horsepower
rating that the 1600 and 2000 rear ends can take without breaking on long
term basis?

Mike Kerr

I think it is about 300 HP , the same rear end (third member) is used on the
old Datsun pickups.

We've talked around this subject on a pretty regular basis. I say
around because the threads were mostly about parts cost and where to
get them. I'd add to Mike's comment that a lot depends on how a car
with 300 HP and a stock rear axle is driven, although a question
regarding max horsepower implies intent to exercise said horsepower,
at least in my book. :>)

I'm also of the opinion that unless you just absolutely must keep the
OEM rig that a custom unit from Moser or Currie would probably be
little, if any most costly than the factory pieces, plus giving you
access to a number of LSD and pretty much R&P ratio you could want,
much greater durability and much less expensive service parts.

FWIW,
Ron