[Roadsters] Read end horsepower potential

Phill Brook fairlady at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 29 19:07:49 MST 2011

Using sticky tyres and some hard launches I found the weak point was the axles
rather than the differential. A few Aussie cars with about 200hp have broken
axles.

There is a design flaw with the originals where a change in axle diameter is
prone to breakage. Some machining to make the diameter change more gradual
will reduce the stress. Billet axles or modified axles from another car are
also good solutions.

Phill B

On 30/01/2011, at 12:33 PM, Michael Spreadbury wrote:

> This is the exact conclusion that we came up with when building James'
SR20DET powered car. We decided to put an all-new 8" Ford rear end from Currie
(with the rear disc brakes, LSD, and all new parts) rather than dealing with a
LSD that I can only buy limited parts for, converting the rear drums to disc,
etc.

> At the end of the day, James can beat on this rear end to his hearts
content, and if he blows it up, wants to change the final drive ratio, etc.,
it won't be a problem to order new parts to fix it. Same can't be said for the
Nissan LSD and associated parts...