[Roadsters] battery not charging

Tim tputland at charter.net
Tue Jun 21 19:06:34 MDT 2011

First off: I am an electrickery novice. Big time.

This is a new condition this spring: 70 1600 w/ gm alternator upgrade
done three or four years ago. Alt is putting out over 12 volts at 600
rpm idle; more at higher rpm. Battery is over 12 volts once charged with
battery charger. But car won't start if battery does not have most of a
fresh charge from the charger. Amp meter will go into the negative if I
turn on the head lights but never goes into the positive any more.

Is this my regulator going (gone) bad? How do I test it?

Thanks

Tim