[Roadsters] battery not charging

Graeme Suckling graemes at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 21 19:37:48 MDT 2011

On 22/06/2011 10:36 AM, Tim wrote:
> First off: I am an electrickery novice. Big time.
>
> This is a new condition this spring: 70 1600 w/ gm alternator upgrade
> done three or four years ago. Alt is putting out over 12 volts at 600
> rpm idle; more at higher rpm. Battery is over 12 volts once charged with
> battery charger. But car won't start if battery does not have most of a
> fresh charge from the charger. Amp meter will go into the negative if I
> turn on the head lights but never goes into the positive any more.
>
> Is this my regulator going (gone) bad? How do I test it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

If you see the battery terminal voltage increase with revs. to ~13.8 -
14.2 then the alternator and Voltage Regulator may be OK.
If the battery still lacks power to crank the engine then I would
suspect the battery as faulty.
Can you swap for a different battery to verify.
If the engine is not running [i.e. not charging] turning on the
headlights will cause the ammeter to go negative [i.e. discharge from
battery]
If the engine is running, when turning on the headlights you should see
a momentary dip of the ammeter needle to zero from +, then the needle
should recover to the + side to indicate charging.

--
Regards,
Graeme Suckling