[Roadsters] battery not charging

Pete Peters ppeters914 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 09:57:05 MDT 2011

Sounds like several issues:

1. Battery only gets fully charged by external battery charger, not by
alternator.

2. Ammeter never goes positive with headlights on.

3. Car will not start unless battery at full charge.

Troubleshooting is same for all three: Test alternator, battery, and
double-check wiring & grounds (always check those pesky grounds). The GM alt
has an internal voltage regulator. You can have it tested at your FLAPS or
an automotive electrical repair place. Got a known, good spare battery? Swap
'em out.

More exact voltages would help, i.e. at idle (800-1000 rpm) the output is
12.43v, at 3500 rpm it's 14.5v, etc.

What does battery read fully charged?

How old is the battery?

Pete