[Roadsters] battery not charging

Graeme Suckling graemes at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 22 05:45:25 MDT 2011

On 22/06/2011 8:32 PM, Tim wrote:
> "If the battery still lacks power to crank the engine then I would
> suspect the battery as faulty."
>
> The battery does take a full charge from a battery charger.
>
> "If you see the battery terminal voltage increase with revs"
>
> Well, I did manage to NOT test the battery at higher rpms so I don't
> know if it this or not. I will check this when I get home.
>
> "If the engine is running, when turning on the headlights you should
> see a momentary dip of the ammeter needle to zero from +, then the
> needle should recover to the + side to indicate charging."
>
> The ammeter does not go + after turning on the headlights in the
> situation. It does dip negative, but only goes back to center, not to
> the positive side like it used to.
>
> Thanks

OK, assuming the battery is good, it appears that the Charging System is
not performing correctly.
If the ammeter needle fails to get back into the + side then either the
alternator output is low or the Voltage Regulator is not signaling the
Alternator to increase output to compensate for the higher load.
Does the system use an external VR or is it integral to the alternator?
A competent Auto battery shop should be able to determine which is at fault.

It might be as simple as worn alternator brushes.
When worn, the brushes lose the spring tension required to keep them in
good contact with the commutator in the alternator.
The result is the brushes become high resistance and don't feed the
increased exciter current to the rotor.
Without that happening, the output doesn't follow the increased
electrical load.

I would still try another battery if possible, just to eliminate that
possibility;-)

--
Regards,
Graeme Suckling