[Roadsters] Jimmy's Car Show and Picnic SF GG Park

Fred Katz roadster at astound.net
Sun Oct 16 12:55:20 MDT 2011

My mom had a B-210 brand new. Would have been nice to still have it because
they're rare, but another driver totaled it while it was parked, like 8 months
after my mom bought it. She then got a 610. My wife bought a 1200 (B-110)
fastback new in 1973, we had it in the family until mid-1990s.  Cost her
$2350, guess she got her money's worth out of it! We would drive it from SF to
Lake Tahoe over the Sierra Nevada, and it would struggle to keep going at the
high elevations with that 1200cc engine. When we had 3 or 4 people in the car,
it struggled to hit 55 going over the mountains!

Next year, if the show is still on, I'll be sure to send out notice of the
show and see if we can make a strong roadster presence. The show has been up
in the air the last few years due to eco-liberal politicians in SF saying cars
don't belong in the park. But the founders of the show, actual groundskeepers
at the park, always manage to get thousands of people to sign petitions to
allow the show to be reinstated. Despite the loons here, there are lots of
normal people with old classics in their garages. Over 500 cars show up every
year for good times with a picnic and raffles.

Fred - SF, CA
66 2L

On Oct 16, 2011, at 7:10 AM, Paul Courson <cour.jpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tnx for the shots. Been to that park and even before I knew about
> "Jimmy's" I said it'd be a great place for a drive show.
>
> I like how they gave that baby plenty of room, almost as if they were
> expecting company.
> Yeah that's too bad more didn't show, especially since you get the
> impression there are a lot of active roadster owners in the Bay area.
> B-210 !  Seemed like a silly little car when they were new. Drove one
> from Maryland to Ohio. Impressed at the fuel economy, but it wouldn't
> even do a hill near Cumberland.  Downshifting only raised the engine
> speed, not the forward speed, huh-HA !
>
> A friend of mine whose Dad owned a Datsun dealership had a 1200. It
> was the first car I ever went 90mph in. Flat terrain of course. Itty
> bitty little 12-in factory wheels and probably bias-ply tires. I think
> it was a '72.  Man those cars took a lot of punishment and didn't even
> say "uh!"
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Fred Katz <roadster at astound.net> wrote:
>> Couldn't attend Jimmy's 23rd Annual Old Car Show and Picnic at San
Francisco
>> Golden Gate Park this year, a lot of family things going on. However,
Annie