[Roadsters] stolen or destroyed lightweight race roadster

chalsted at comcast.net chalsted at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 09:49:35 MDT 2011

around 2 years ago I loaned my lightweight race roadster to Jack McCormick who
works for one of the wineries at Watkins Glen with the agreement that he could
build and race it and I could race it too... this was done because he just
plain couldn't come up with the money to buy the car but had the mechanical
ability to build it so I thought I'd help him achieve one of his dreams in
life...he'd gotten his competition license too...it was clear that the car was
still mine as he had not paid for it...fast forward to last week at the Glen-
Jack told me he "had bad news" about my race car...that when he'd gotten into
it he found the frame was badly cracked and it was unsafe so he'd JUNKED MY
CAR!!!! WTF??? never even called me to tell me there was a problem. I've left
messages for him which he is not returning, he just plain had no right to do
that. I requested that he tell me where he took it to junk it and he didn't
respond to that either. a number of people I have discussed the matter with
have suggested to me that it is more likely he sold it to someone...I'd hate
to think Jack would do that but it's unimaginable that he would destroy my car
so I don't know what to think. the car was formerly raced by Dave Manzolini,
did the old Lime Rock track in a minute flat, held track records a few
places....it was the lightest race roadster ever weighed in by Bob Sharp and
he weighed in the "salt damaged" cars (official factory lightweights) the car
had a very unusual rollcage necessitated by the flexibility of the lightweight
chassis, I can provide pictures. if anyone is on a race forum, please post
about my missing roadster. car was yellow with a red rising sun on the hood,
had braces going back from the rollbar hoop and a pair going like an X to
either side of the frame up front behind the crossmember. there was a post
that went down from the middle of the X to the plate in the center of the X in
the frame. if you come across this car or hear anything about it, please let
me know. it was not his to either sell or destroy and unless he gives me what
I paid for it I will have no choice but to get ugly and have him arrested-
would rather not do that. he (supposedly) still has my factory race R16 and
all the spares I provided with the car but as he won't respond I can't count
on anything. I'd be satisfies but not very happy if he paid me what I paid for
the car and gave me back my engine and spares but I need to find out what
happened to it real soon in case it may be headed out of the country. any help
anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated
bumming in Virginia,
Craig