[Roadsters] temp gauge

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sat Sep 17 20:32:43 MDT 2011

Oliver,

Graham is correct, you can check the variation in resistance as the engine
heats up as he indicates.

Is your fuel gauge working properly?  (Both the temperature and fuel gauges
take power from the gauge voltage regulator -- a little device under the
dash on the right side of the steering column support.)  If the fuel gauge
is OK, then the GVR is OK.

Disconnect the lead from the sending unit.  Do you have voltage at the lead
when the ignition switch is on?

You have a 1600, right?  You need to make sure the sending unit is properly
grounded.  I think you should be able to get one probe from your multimeter
onto the shell of the sending unit adjacent to the positive terminal.  There
should be zero resistance between the shell of the sender and ground.  (On
2000's the sending unit is in an intermediate housing, and a ground path
from that housing can be a problem.  You shouldn't have a similar situation
on the 1600, but the ground could be a problem.

If everything checks out per Graham's notes and my notes, it's probably best
to just replace the sending unit.  The sender is usually the problem, but no
point in pulling it out of the head without a few checks.

Gary