[Roadsters] Driver's door glass

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sun Sep 25 16:49:24 MDT 2011

Steve,

You didn't say whether the glass moves freely in the channels with
everything connected.  It sounds like yours is binding somewhere.  I'd
assemble the mechanism and look for binding when you lower the glass with
the inner door panel off.

I don't know what plastic "retainer" your are referring to.  The only
"retainer" of which I am aware is the one which prevents the door glass
assembly from being raised too far.  I think that part goes in the upper
roller channel.

It has been a number of years since I had my doors apart, but I seem to
recall that the door window glass was just pressed into the rubber U-shaped
gasket and lower bracket.  As long as the window moves freely in the
vertical channels, things should work properly.

I can tell you I did not remove the door glass from the lower brackets when
I took the window mechanisms out of the doors to clean and re-lubricate
them.  The outer rubber weatherstrips and door "fuzzies" must be removed to
get the door glass in and out with the lower bracket attached.  I remember
that much.

I hope that helps.

Gary