[Roadsters] Cleaning aluminum wheels

JDF james at jdfogg.com
Mon Mar 19 21:24:39 MDT 2012

This describes aluminum oxide perfectly. Start with one of the
"powerball" drill-type abrasive polish/wheel kits. If that doesn't work,
move on to a real polishing pad (wool) and polishing compound or cutting
compound. Cutting compound is pretty harsh and will swirl, you'll have
to follow with lots of polishing compound. You'll have to figure out how
to prevent the removal of the paint with a pad and polish (masking tape
helps). The powerball wheel kits will probably leave the paint alone.
There are metal polishes that will work well but they aren't doing
anything different than the autobody compounds.

Aluminum oxide is one tough material and won't come off easy. It's much
harder than the aluminum it came from so don't put a lot of pressure on
a machine wheel or you'll dig out the aluminum and leave behind the
aluminum oxide. Use time and patients with the machine. If the oxide is
built up enough to catch a fingernail I might consider a light touch
with a sanding disk with a super fine al-ox pad. You'll have to deal
with the sanding damage to the polish with compounds and a wheel.

There's little that will prevent this other than a coat of oil or wax.
The smooth surface of polished aluminum helps prevent oxidation by
denying water a place to settle. Salts are a factor but not nearly as
much as with steel rust. Both oil and wax won't stay on for long in the
winter. A nice filthy coat of road grime and brake dust will help
protect it though. I've always noticed that poorly cleaned wheels
survive winter well. Anodizing is the usual solution for aluminum in
harsh marine environments. Anodizing actually creates a fine layer of
al-oxide and that allows the aluminum to hold paint or it can be tinted.

Automatic car washes that offer an extra wheel cleaning package will
usually use hydrofluoric acid as the cleaner and that will greatly
increase the odds of aluminum oxidizing. Hydrofluoric acid is a great
cleaner (and deadly poisonous) but it strips all the oils off the
aluminum leaving it vulnerable (not great for the steel in the wheel
wells either). When I'm desperate enough to use an auto car wash I skip
all the extras and get the basic wash and that usually means no
hydrofluoric acid bath.