[Roadsters] Cleaning aluminum wheels

Dan Kroninger d_kroninger at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:43:34 MDT 2012

Hey list,

I just removed the snow rims and tires from my daily driver the last weekend.
I noticed that all 4 wheels have some sort of dirt or oxidation that I can't
remove.

It is white or grey in color and looks almost like lime or salt.  It presents
itself as either blotches (bigger spots) or squiggly lines, almost like
cracked glass.

I first tried water and a soft cloth to remove it.  Then I went and got an
aluminum wheel cleaner (meguires AL wheel cleaner). The guy at the store said
to spray on and let sit for 30 seconds, then spray again and massage out the
dirt with a soft tooth brush.  I used half a bottle on one wheel with zero
effect.  Does anyone have suggestions?  They are just snow wheels, but I will
be mounting a set of aluminum wheels on my roadster this summer and I don't
want those wheels getting ugly.

The snow wheels are polished aluminum rims with painted spokes.  They also are
polished aluminum around the lugs.  The stain/dirt is only on the polished
part.  I don't want to use anything to aggressive and buff up the rims.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also any thoughts
on preventing this in the future?  The wheels are stored flat and stacked two
high in plastic wheel bags.  Tires are mounted full time.

Thanks,
Dan
Madison, WI