[Roadsters] Alternative to Bimetallic Strip Gauge Regulator?

Pat Horne pat at hornesystemstx.com
Thu Mar 29 08:01:38 MDT 2012

The voltage drop across a resistor is dependent on the current flowing
through it. The current in this particular circuit does not stay
constant, so just dropping the voltage would not work. As I recall the
average voltage coming out of the instrument regulator is about 8V. The
gauges are slow enough to react that a constant voltage will be good
enough.

The reason for having a voltage regulator at all is that the battery
voltage can vary quite a bit between idle and full throttle, not to
mention head/driving lights on or off, causing the gauges to read off by
quite a bit....not that the temperature gauge is known for being
particularly accurate!

As for the 10V Moss regulator, if it is a bi-metal regulator, it can be
adjusted to work. If it doesn't have an adjustment on it, the mount for
the bi-metal strip or the strip itself can be bent to have more off time.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-EE11), On 3/28/2012 7:46 PM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice		5026 FM 2001