[Roadsters] Alternative to Bimetallic Strip Gauge Regulator?

Linda Jordan ljordan704 at netscape.net
Thu Mar 29 08:26:58 MDT 2012

Didn't someone say it was solid state, so can't adjust?

Linda

Sent from my iPod

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:01 AM, Pat Horne <pat at hornesystemstx.com> wrote:

> The voltage drop across a resistor is dependent on the current flowing
through it. The current in this particular circuit does not stay constant, so
just dropping the voltage would not work. As I recall the average voltage
coming out of the instrument regulator is about 8V. The gauges are slow enough
to react that a constant voltage will be good enough.

> The reason for having a voltage regulator at all is that the battery voltage
can vary quite a bit between idle and full throttle, not to mention
head/driving lights on or off, causing the gauges to read off by quite a
bit....not that the temperature gauge is known for being particularly
accurate!

> As for the 10V Moss regulator, if it is a bi-metal regulator, it can be
adjusted to work. If it doesn't have an adjustment on it, the mount for the
bi-metal strip or the strip itself can be bent to have more off time.

> Peace,
> Pat
>
> Thusly spake Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-EE11), On 3/28/2012 7:46 PM:
>> Can you not just use a small 2 V resister on the output?
>>

>> On 3/28/12 7:44 PM, "RWM"<RWM at RWMann.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Now that you mention it, Charlie, I recall that.
>>>
>>> I'm betting there is ~2V of additional voltage drop in a 40-year old
>>> electrical harness and connectors...
>>>
>>> - Bob

Haslett
Regulator?