[Roadsters] Where to repair my hard top?

O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Mon Nov 5 07:34:10 MST 2012

Walt,
Send me pics of the hardtop.  I can do it for you for minimal cost.
For the interim you might be able to borrow/rent one while the work gets done,
so your car doesn't get soaked, but I can get that work done (heavily
supervised) by my happy band of junior college students who are learning
fiberglass fab and repair.
(some in order to avoid the life choices which result in  wardrobe choices
which involve the "government sponsored blinking ankle bracelet")

I have a hardtop but it is high window, so won't work.

Offer the "renter" (interim top provider) the following, see if this sounds
like a decent proposition:

1.       Drive down and drop off your top with me.

2.       Swing by their place and put on the interim top. (drive home, in your
case preferably  via Tepesquet & Foxen Canyon Road....)

3.       When I am done with your top, drive down and pick up the new one, and
drop off the interim top.

4.       For the price of the paint I'll re-spray the new one. (my students
need practice doing good prep & spray jobs)  I sprayed one for Stan and if I
remember correct a quart kit would have painted like 4 hardtops, and I think I
did 3 coats.

For seals I'd suggest the vendors, or the local Hot Rod Swap Meet. (I go to
the one in Long Beach, maybe one in Santa Maria, or maybe combine the top
drop-off with the Swap Meet date, I can show you the messiest garage space in
a First World countryy!)
The "rubber extrusion" guy is there, bring cross sections of your old ones to
match up, they sell by the foot pretty cheap.

I'll PM the email address to send pics.

Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
69 2000  (with the LONGEST timing chains in the westerrrr-rrr-rrrn states)