[Roadsters] 1600 tuning issues

Roy Haslett hrhaslett at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 11:46:01 MST 2012

It has run and idled well up until the last few hundred miles, no
backfires. Has run especially well at highway speeds (60-65). I had been
getting some hesitation on the street but attributed it to the heat and vapor
lock.  As the sputtering and backfiring started and increased I decided to
change out the electrical components from the coil to the plugs. (They were
all pretty well toasted).   I believe to have the gaps all correct and I
believe the parts to be ok (Beck Arnley).  I think it is a matter of the
timing and carb adjusting at this point.  Another current symptom is run-on
(dieseling) after shut down. What usually causes that?
FYI.  Fresh head about
5,000 miles ago.  Engine has approx 20,000 miles on rebuild (done back in the
80's) Does not burn any oil.
Thanks,
Roy