[Roadsters] Solex troubles

Daniel Heinze dth104 at psu.edu
Sat Mar 12 16:35:30 MST 2016

Thanks to all for the advice.
I talked with Dave Patten who now runs Wolf Creek Racing to be sure gaskets are still available (I have PHH44s S5 with independent mains).  Thanks Dave for the help.
So with the float cover removed, I find, as predicted by Dave, that the floats are not sunk.  The new style floats are not susceptible to that like the old ones.
However, the floats appear to be out of adjustment, but the PHH Carburetor Service Manual is a bit confusing...
Section 7. Inspection and Adjustment of the Fuel Level says in the text "hold the float chamber cover as shown in Fig. 21 so that the float arm just rests on the needle valve without compressing the needle valve spring" BUT there is no "needle valve spring" and in the position shown in Fig 21, the valve will be all the way closed just from the weight of the floats.  In that position, my floats have "dimension A" of about 8mm when it should be 12 - 12.5mm.  Can anyone comment on what is the right way to measure the float adjustment?  I'm guessing it is as shown in Fig 21 and not as written in the text, but I want to be sure.
Also, someone (I can't find the email now) commented that the passage from the jets to the pilot screw might be clogged.  Any suggestions on how to be sure that passage is clear?
Thanks / Dan

datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive