[Fot] Uncle Jack's Legacy

Tim Murphy timmurph at fastbytes.com
Wed Aug 20 10:31:55 MDT 2008

Now that the shock is beginning to wear off I've had time to consider Uncle Jack's legacy.  At the top of the list for me would have to be Tony Drews.  When I'd send an e-mail with one of my many questions it was always to the "Drews", Jack and Tony.  Many times I'd hear from Tony first,and if it was an engine question, he'd defer to Jack, or as he'd usually say, "I'll think I'll let Uncle Jack chime in on this one."  But on a lot of the other questions Tony would get back to me promptly with an answer.  I think he was taking some of the "load" off of Jack, especially as I see all of the other posts from people that Jack was helping.
    Tony has also been very active on the list as we all know and, as Jack was, in answering questions and giving input to the threads.
    While we were building the car we'd seek out Jack and Tony at Elkhart Lake and Tony would spend whatever time it took to go over things with us.  I recall when he spent about 1/2 hour reviewing his fuel system, pump, filter, regulator, pressure gauge, plumbing, fittings, mounting, the whole works.
    Again, after the car was built and after ELVF last Fall when we had a problem with the transmission and I finally got around to fixing it last winter and realized I'd have to get the OD off (and back on!) I e-mailed the "Drews" again and it was Tony who gave me advice.  But the part that shows that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", is in one post when I was having my doubts about doing it and Tony says, "Well, I guess I'll just take a weekend holiday in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin if you really get into trouble."  That turned out not to be necessary, but he was willing to take a weekend and drive up here to help another Triumph team.
    I said in my "memories" post that the car wouldn't be what it is and as problem free as it has been without the help from Uncle Jack.  I should have said without the help and encouragement from the "Drews", Jack and Tony.
    I think Jack's helpfulness, kindness and graciousness is living on in Tony.  Any father would be happy and proud to leave this world knowing he was leaving a son like Tony behind.

    To me that's Uncle Jack's greatest legacy.

Tim Murphy