[Fot] Fw: Favorite momory of Jack

Tim Murphy timmurph at fastbytes.com
Wed Aug 20 13:56:17 MDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: rpm724 at att.net
To: tony at tonydrews.com
Cc: Tim Murphy
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:03 PM
Subject: Favorite momory of Jack

I met "Uncle" Jack at Road America in the late 90's when I was there as a spectator and asked him where to get a header for my street TR4.  He was very nice, and my dad and I talked with him and complimented his beautiful TR4 (old blue).  Years later my dad and I were building our own TR4 race car, and Jack helped every step of the way.  He invited us into his home, showed us his car, and we had a nice lunch together.  I was impressed with his ingenuity and car.  I couldn't believe he built his own flow bench.  I was impressed that "Uncle" Jack had a tremendous wealth of skill and knowlege, but wasn't full of himself.  He was very down to earth and willing to answer our questions.  In the years to come my dad and I were fortunate enough to paddock next to Jack and Tony.  I am probably the youngest person racing a TR-4 in vintage racing, so I really did see Jack as "Uncle" Jack.  I couldn't believe he remained so calm when something on his car would break, or the lengths he would go to to finish the week-end, like putting his rear end assembly in the back of his van and driving 4 hours home and back again to rebuild it.  I always looked forward to seeing "Uncle" Jack at the races.  Being new to racing, I looked up to him as an example of how to act and race in Vintage Racing.  "Uncle" Jack was a class act all the way.

Sincerely,
Ryan Murphy