[Fot] Fire Suppression System

Jason Ostrowski jason at multivintage.com
Tue Sep 13 13:15:46 MDT 2011

Most likely it is still o.k. but to be sure, you can't go by the gauge. It
is my understanding that since it is a liquid (which is released as a gas)
it's content is measured by weight. I took mine to Pegasus last year and
they weighed it and checked the spec weight of the bottle. It is the weight
of the liquid that is important. Mine was probably older than yours and
checked out fine. Halon keeps working a lot longer than newer type systems
(FE-36 and AFFF) but is higher in toxicity and hard to clean up. It cannot
be refilled like the newer systems. So if it is not the proper weight, you
have to replace the whole bottle. In which case it would probably be best to
change to a AFFF or FE-36 bottle that fits your old set-up. Maybe If you
contact PegasusAuto Racing Supplies (they are an authorized fire system
center), they would give you the total weight that your bottle AND liquid
should be. Then you could weigh it yourself.

Not an expert but did do some research on this last year.
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing