[Fot] [6pack] Help needed, TR250 engine rebuild oil pressure problems

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Tue Sep 17 11:33:49 MDT 2013

I have a TR250 that I have had since new.  It was showing the same
problems for some time before I finally did something about it. I
assumed the bearings were worn out, so at 110,000 miles I tore it down
for a rebuild.  It was in excellent shape considering the mileage (with
no overdrive).  The bearing journals showed a small amount of wear, but
were well within the wear limits and the cylinders were showing marginal
taper. This is a mostly stock motor, so we went 0.020 over (or maybe
0.030) on the cylinders and installed new bearings, but did not grind
the crank or install cam bearings. With the small amount of wear
elsewhere, I thought cam bearings could wait until the next time around.
We put a new oil pump in it, because the TR250 pump is said to be
marginal.  After the rebuild, it was still showing some of these
symptoms but to a lesser degree.  I got new relief valve springs, both
stock and "heavy duty".  The relief valve on these engines does not seem
to be up to the task, because with 20-50 oil, it pegs the pressure gauge
at startup, but then settles down to about 40 - 45 psi at 2,500 rpm (on
a 100 degree day) with the heavy duty springs.  The pressure is about 5
psi less than with the stock spring. I believe the manual calls for
something like 40 to 60 psi at 2,000. It still shows the very low
pressure at 800 rpm idle.  The relief valve is probably not open at
idle.  I believe this is just a basic engine design issue. Perhaps since
this engine grew from a much smaller one, the oiling system did not keep
pace.  Cam bearings may help the problem, but installation is nontrivial
since the block must be line bored. As long as you are getting good flow
to the rockers at running speed, I would not worry too much about rocker
lubrication at idle.  I do not use an external line to the rockers,
because that would further reduce the oil pressure and oil flow to the
bearings, which is much more critical than the rockers.  The best
solution would be a higher volume pump.  The later TR6 pumps are
supposed to be better, but I couldn't tell any major difference.  Is
there a higher volume pump available?  A larger capacity relief valve
would also be an improvement.

Ed Barnard  mentioned a cracked block issue.  I believe mine was crack
tested, but will have to check with the machine shop.

Larry Young