[Fot] Synchro Rings

Dean Tetterton tr3a58 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 15 07:10:01 MST 2014

   Has anybody found a supplier of good Synchro rings for
the TR2 -6 gearbox. I have pulled apart a gearbox that I rebuilt
in 1996 and the Synchro rings are shot on 2nd and 3rd gear.
Everything else is in great shape and does not need replacing.
The layshaft hardly has any kind of mark where the bearings
ride. This is a street TR6 box which usually wears out the end with
first gear.

      The synchro rings on the otherhand will not work on 2nd and 3rd.
No braking action left. I know where I bought these and stopped using
them many years ago. I find that many of the one's supplied now don't
work well when the box heats up. I think they must expand when
they heat up. This box was also run with Redline MTL in it and it
is spotless inside. Bearings are smooth and layshaft washers
show no marks or wear. It is a late J OD box with steel bushings
in the main gears and nothing needs replacing. I would not be working on
it if the Synchro rings had been any good.

       Any body no of any good Synchro rings?

Dean T.