[Fot] GT6 cooling

Bobby Whitehead igofaster at att.net
Tue Feb 11 06:33:30 MST 2014

while I'm a witness that sometimes these Triumphs can be a pill, I've always
been aware having owned a dozen or so that heating was as issue, especially in
Texas. My racer (built by Bob Davis) has the larger cross flow Griffin
aluminum radiatorb& I can get you the part number if you wish.
What I have
noticed and what is applied when I drain or refill is two things. Bob placed a
tap in the top of the thermostat housing with a hex drive screw to make it
flush. I'll fill my radiator with the tap screw out to let air flow and the
car slightly jacked up in the rear. I do my final topping off with a food type
plunger while the car is elevated. With the replacement radiator lower you
have to make sure all the air is out of the system. My overflow tank and fill
tank is mounted up behind the engine on the firewall perch. After running the
motor , I re-check and top off again to make sure there is no air in the
system. The thermostat housing also has a smaller restrictor passage. I do run
a fan. Cold days does require blocking the oil cooler which is also located in
the front below the radiator. I have to restrict air on the cooler and the
filter on mild days to get over 175 degrees. My understanding is we should try
to get oil temps around 220. If
 you do these things, over heating because of water flow should not be your
problem.
If you want I can sen you some detailed photosb&
Bobby Whitehead
1970 GT-6+ DPB