[Fot] Kastner Cup May 14-17, 2015 at Summit Point Raceway, West Virginia

Joe Alexander n197tr4 at cs.com
Mon Jun 2 08:07:43 MDT 2014

Scott,

Looks like a lot of great choices and opportunities for everyone.

The running of the Kastner Cup on Saturday may be a very popular idea as it
gives us a chance to celebrate with the winner for the balance of Saturday,
and thru the weekend.

Thanks for the update.

Joe Alexander
645 1st Street
Jesup, IA 50648
The-vintage-racer.com
Gasketinnovations.com
Cell:  319.464.4711

> On May 31, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen at me.com> wrote:
>
> OK, I know we just finished this year's Kastner Cup - however, this is a
save-the-date notice for next year.

> Typical Jefferson 500 race weekend schedule is as follows:
>
> Weds May 13th - Novice drivers school run by VRG (continues through Friday).
Track opens for all other race entrants around 5 PM Weds.
> Thurs - practice day - four 15 minute sessions per group, so lots of time
for those of you who don't know the track to learn it.
> Friday - typically a morning warm-up, a practice session, a 10 lap race and
a 45 minute enduro.  The enduro costs $100 extra for the two enduro sessions,
open to all race groups except open wheelers.
> Saturday - Morning warm-up, race in your group and the Kastner Cup race.
> Sunday - a race in your group, second session of enduro, and usually a
"whoever's left" race or two combining several or all groups.
> VRG usually offers an early entrant discount starting about 90 days before.
You'll hear from me way before then!

> Any questions, let me know.
>
> Scott
>

> On Mar 24, 2014, at 10:17 PM, Scott Janzen wrote:
>
> OK- here's the official announcement - this will be the East Coast Kastner
Cup event for 2015.  Summit Point and VRG will offer us a terrific combination
of a great track, a friendly organization, and lots of track time:

> "The Friends of Triumph ("FOT") and the Vintage Racing Group (VRG),
organizers for the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point (West Virginia), have agreed
that Triumph will be the featured marque in 2015, hosting the Kastner Cup.
All Triumph-powered vintage race cars are welcome.  The Kastner Cup is an
annual gathering and racing event for Triumph racers, and honors R.W. "Kas"
Kastner, who ran the U.S. Triumph racing program in the 1960s-1970s, and has
over 50 years experience in the automotive and racing industry.  Kas himself
will be in attendance, presenting the Kastner Cup to the car and driver
selected for the award by Kas each year.

> The Jefferson 500, typically held the third weekend in May, was created
twenty years ago by Bill Scott, the track owner, and his friend Brian Redman
to bring vintage racing to this charming, "old school" track.  VRG's
philosophy is to deliver a lot of track time at a reasonable entry fee - the
event includes a Thursday practice day, a driver's school for novices and
three days of qualifying and racing.  Track time abounds!  In 2013 the event
had about 230 entrants, seven groups from 20-40 cars each.  There will be
ample practice and racing time, and an all-Triumph race on Saturday.
> Summit Point is a good track for Triumph cars - the main circuit is 2.0
miles, ten turns, 400' of elevation change, with lots of good twisty bits and
a 2,900 foot main straight.  Opened in 1969, the track initially hosted IMSA
and Trans-Am races but today is primarily used today by SCCA, clubs and for
motorcycle racing.  There are three independent road courses at the property,
though the SCCA only runs on the largest - the one the Jefferson will be on.
The track is located about 70 miles west of Washington DC, with many places to
stay nearby.

> It's a great spectator track and event - full access to the pits, great
viewing of virtually every point on the track and lots of room for camping and
display of street cars.

> Please put this event on your calendar for 2015!  The exact date will be
announced after this year's Jefferson event, but is expected to be May 14-17,
2015.  A link to the track website is below.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/sjanzen@me.com