[Fot] How far can a GT6 head be milled?

Jeff Durant jeff_durant at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 16:04:36 MDT 2014

Jason,
My reason for asking is I'm prepping 2x GT6+ heads for use on my TR6 racer.
Both heads are 517528 p/n. The stock CR as fitted to a GT+ (mk2) is 9.2:1 I
believe.  I thought an early mk3 was 8.5:1 and less on the later mk3.? As the
combustion space is smaller than any TR6 head, the amount of material to skim
by comparison, would be far less to hit my 13.5:1 target.  Both heads measure
3.255" currently and there appears to be plenty of meat around the previously
mentioned thin spot inboard of #1 exhaust port, but I agree there are casting
variations even with heads having the same p/n.  I need to cc the current
space and calculate the final amount to remove after stripping, cleaning and
crack checking. When milling I'll be inspecting carefully after each pass!
BTW what is the p/n of the 2 liter head you working up?
Regards,
Jeff Durant
Sent from my iPhone