[Fot] TR3/4 Billet Crank Inspection Help

Jeff Snook jeffsnook01 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 08:26:53 MDT 2014

Greetings fellow FOTers!

Glen Efinger in Stuart, FL, has been repairing/restoring my TR3 after a mishap
at PVGP in 2012.  While doing a refresh of the engine the Moldex crank went to
the machine shop for a liquid mag to check for cracks.  What showed up was a
crack so light that it was impossible to see unless the inspector really
looked close.  It would have been easy to overlook except for the vigilance of
this operator.  It is located on the front side of the center main bearing on
the thrust surface above the cheek of the radius.

Since this "crack" is so small, invisible to the naked eye, and in such a
non-normal location, we want to take it to the next level of inspection
(whatever that may be).  Does anyone know of a facility that could do further
inspection?

We want to determine if this "crack" is cause to pitch the crank, or is it
still usable.  For certain reasons we do not want to send it back to Moldex
for their inspection.

Any and all input appreciated!

Vroom, vroom,

Jeff Snook