[Fot] TR3/4 Billet Crank Inspection Help

Greg Solow Gregmogdoc at surfnetusa.com
Mon Mar 10 18:21:15 MDT 2014

If you were to grind away gently at the surface where the crack is locaated,
I wonder if it would disappear?  Sometimes surface imperfections can appear
as cracks.  If it can polished away, that would be a good thing.  I have
never heard of a "tractor motor" crank breaking in that location.  We have
only seen cracks or breakage at the rear radius of the #4 rod journal
through to the front radius of the rear main, or at the front raduis of the
#1 rod journal.  Cracks at the #1 rod journal are much rarer than those at
the #4 rod journal (which are actually quite common.

                                       Greg Solow