[Fot] Duke Engines

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 13:49:56 MDT 2014

Here is one that*is* new under the sun, different enough to have
generated quite a few patents.  You can see it at: www.brickleyengine.com

My friend Mike Brickley (lives in Austin, TX) has been working on this
engine for years, having heard many approving remarks from other
mechanical engineers (those that have closely examined the patents
understand what makes this concept different and why it will work) but
has had insufficient interest by top brass the big motor companies (and
he's been interviewed by perhaps half of them).  He realized last year
that proving his claims using even the most sophisticated engine
simulation software (Ford offered use of their latest engine test
program) was not getting him anywhere.  He's maybe halfway through
fabricating a "hard copy" so people can hear it run and he can prove his
fuel economy claims in the tangible world.  Note that the top end of the
engine is nothing new (in fact he robbed four Robin single cylinder
engines for their cylinders and heads).  His innovations are all in the
bottom end of the engine, where precious little serious development has
occurred in decades. Don't be put off by the apparent complexity and
insubstantiality of the various components.   For patent reasons the
animation leaves unclear several pivot points for the bellcranks.

Duncan
1952 Morgan Plus 4
Red #6 -- sold, headed for the west coast.