[Fot] Water in gas

Bill Babcock ponobill at gmail.com
Tue May 20 12:35:31 MDT 2014

Its simply a pump design issue. Facet pumps use a diaphragm and solenoid to
pump gas. Thats why you hear that tick,tick The maximum pressure they
reach is whatever spring pressure the solenoid can overcome. Usually three to
five poundsoften less. They have a maximum capacity of 30GPH, and thats
generous. For a race car they are probably the minimum that will work. Not a
recipe for reliable performance.

The holley, carter and jegs pumps are centrifugal with an electric motor. They
have a max pressure of about 16-18 pounds and flow 60+ GPH. Probably enough
for a thirsty V8. The regulators are simple demand regulators, the Holley is
particularly robust. No need for a return line. Fuel pressure is critical to
carb tuning. Too much and it will overcome the float valve and fill the float
chamber too full causing excess richness. Too low and the float level will
fluctuate too much, starving the engine when youre WFO. Surplus flow rate
ensures that the regulator gets all the gas it needs to maintain consistent
pressure.

On May 20, 2014, at 8:38 AM, Michael Moore <mmoore at mtmcpafirm.com> wrote:

> New to this, and they were on car I bought. Would you mind explaining a
little more why Facets aren't as good.

> Thanks
> Mike
>
> Michael T. Moore, CPA
> 2007 West 32nd Street
> Erie, PA 16508
>
> Phone: 814-868-4831  ext 103

pressure, and regulating it to exactly what I want. I think it solves a lot of
problems. I like the Holley, Carter or Jegs electric fuel pumps (all similar)
and the Holley or Jegs regulator. A tiny bit more money, but you can set your
fuel pressure anywhere from 1 to 10 pounds and have it never change all year.
And no pulsing pressure. 60+ GPH. They just work.