[Fot] Racing Tire Rotation Question

Bill Babcock Bill at ponostyle.com
Wed Apr 22 13:31:38 MDT 2015

I pay attention to the tire direction for mounting, but if I need to swap a tire I do it. Haven’t seen any negative impact. My tires still look good when I ditch them, but they lose a couple of seconds after twenty or so races/qualifiers/practice runs.

I generally swap front to diagonal rear if I’m going to even wear. my fronts last forever, my rears get a little gummed over. Usually if I’m moving tires around it’s to take a flat spot from front to rear.

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 3:12 AM, John Styduhar via Fot <fot at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> I'm running Hoosier Speedster 205/60 15. The tires have a direction arrow on the sidewall. The Hoosier tire factory rep. told me that I could swap the tires/wheels side-to-side to even out the tire wear and extend tread life. No need to remount and rebalance tires.  But that would make the tire roll in the opposite direction as shown on the sidewall. The rep said the tire design is symetrical and the directional tread pattern is for water shedding.  My internet query also supports this thinking.  What are fellow racers doing about racing tire rotation?

Bill Babcock
Bill at ponostyle.com
Editor: Ponostyle
Celebrating Water