[Fot] Blowing Head gaskets

Allen Washatko awashatko at wi.rr.com
Tue May 19 19:37:07 MDT 2015

FoT,

As a follow up to my request for information last fall regarding my
head gasket failure at RA, I wanted to share my findings. Turns out
that the ARP head studs did stretch! They were more than ten years
old. Replaced them over winter and all was well last weekend. It was a
cool weekend when we ran so the engine was making lots of power to
fully stress the studs. The new O2 sensor indicated that we were
running on the rich side of center.

Lesson learned: Measure and mark each head stud. Keep a record. Re-
measure at each rebuild. Replace when they exceed the measured
tolerance.

We also re-torqued the studs after a heat cycle. ALL turned 1/8 of a
turn on the re-torque.

Thanks to the many who offered their insights and assistance on this
problem.

Best,

Allen

Allen & Jody Washatko