[Fot] Auxiliary Oil Line Size

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Tue Aug 16 13:04:55 MDT 2016

When I was looking at these issues, I did the flow calculations to add a
little engineering to the decision. For a 4 gpm flow of 20w-50 oil at
212 degrees, the pressure drop is: 0.2, 0.5 and 2.0 psi/ft for AN10, 8
and 6 respectively. Fittings and valves are usually treated as so many
equivalent feet of straight pipe. I think 4 gpm is a respectable rate. I
surfed all over the internet looking for pump rates, but could not find
specs on an actual pump rate for any engine. Next time you buy a "high
volume" oil pump ask for the rate and see what happens.

  - Larry