[Fot] TR3 front end conversion to TR6 parts: Camber - moving the ball joint inward

Jack Brooks JIBrooks at Live.com
Fri May 20 23:34:14 MDT 2016

I am hoping to upgrade the front suspension on my (street/AutoX) TR3 this
summer by changing out the upper A-arm, vertical link and trunnion to TR6
parts.  I will use "the" Jag ball joint and shim it as required.  Due to the
complexity of shortening the upper A-arm or moving the inner pivot point
inward, I am considering welding an extension to the upper A-Arm ball joint
mounting tabs on the inside to mount the ball joint further inward and
produce a similar result to shortening the A-arm.  I have not removed my TR3
A-Arms yet, but it appears there is room to move the ball joint inward at
least an inch in this way.  I know I can't go as far as those of you who
have shortened the upper arms, but it seems like it could be a decent
compromise.  I am concerned though, as this seems too easy.  None of you
guys have done it. Instead you have shortening the upper arms which, from
what I have read, is challenging, as is moving the inner pivot point and
retaining substantial structure.

So, the question is. . . . . . . Why is simply moving the ball joint further
inboard not a good solution?  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Jack