[Fot] Cracked Head

Steve Yott tr4 at wi.rr.com
Thu May 12 07:56:06 MDT 2016

Dave and Alex,

Your “head guy” is spot on.  The method he prescribes for this repair is the standard way of getting the head back into service.  Heat is the culprit when it comes to cracking heads.  You will generally find that the 6 cylinder and tractor motors both have issues with cracking between the seats on the rear cylinders.  That is where the most heat builds up and causes the damage.  Cracking will usually begin in the exhaust seat area and propagate from there and usually into the intake seat area.  If the crack is not too deep the seat replacement method is sound as the replacement seats are available in ¼” and 5/16” depths.  If the cracking goes down the port area of the exhaust then welding is the best fix other than finding another head…

You are luck there was not more serious damage….

Steve Yott