[Fot] SEMA & Holiday Stocking Stuffers

Kenneth Knight kknight at klaenv.com
Fri Nov 10 10:32:18 MST 2017

Good Morning All:

I was at SEMA last week and here are a few items that could be on you
Christmas List.

Car Tech Books (www.cartechbooks.com) has a new book: “The Illustrated
History of Triumph Sports and Racing Cars” by G. William Krause, isbn
9781613253387 for $26.95.  They also carry some very good books on
blueprinting motors and performance.  I have my eye on “Trucks of the Soviet
Union: The Definitive History” because who knew there was even a market and
you never know when that information will come in handy

The new ARP catalog is out.  I think you can get this at there website in
pdf, well worth having for the technical sections on fasteners.   There were
three items that would fill out any TR tool kit.

The first is ARP ½-13 chaser tap for cleaning (not cutting threads).  I have
one of these and I welded it to an old head stud (welded a nut on end) and
use it to clean threads in the big TR blocks.  This is part #911-0005 and
Summit has it for about $35.00.  Other sizes available.  These are undercut
chaser taps of very high quality and so they will not damage threads but
clean them up.

ARP sells the aluminum tapered ring compressors in 87mm (901-8700) and 89mm
(901-8900) and Summit has them for about $60.00.   An FOT racer, who shall
remain nameless, was using the old fashioned style ring compressor that you
crank down.  The oil ring did not compress properly and when he drove it
into the new and torque honed liner it put a big scratch in the liner.  I
have never had this happen with these tools and it makes fitting those
tricky gapless rings and easy task.

If you ever can get a pass to SEMA it is an amazing trade show and well
worth the 10 miles you will walk looking at all the cool kit.

Ken